auto rental

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum auto rental

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    LAWRENCE SCHULTZ
    Participant

I am planning my next trip to Ecuador which will have us going to Cuenca, Manta and Cotacachi.

The one leg of the trip which I feel confident enough to rent a car and drive is during my stay in Manta. I plan to drive to a few destinations along the coast area.

What I would like to know is it possible to get a rental vehicle which has a GPS system that gives directions in English?

Hi lawrence,

I’ve rented a car from the Manta airport before, and I remember GPS was an option. We didn’t get it, because we use an app on our phone. When you make the reservation, be sure and choose the GPS option, and if there is a note field, put English as your preferred language. If not, just ask them at the desk to configure it for English.

If you have access to a smartphone with service in Ecuador (SIM cards are available everywhere with cheap 1-month plans – but your phone needs to be “unlocked” to use one), there are good apps like Waze that work very well in other countries.

One other thing – note that the rental company will likely want to put a hold for $5000 on your credit card to hold against accidents or tickets.

By the way, if you change your mind about Cuenca and Cotacachi, check into CuencaCarShare, who have rentals in Cuenca and Quito. They can also provide you with English GPS, and their price includes insurance.

More info about driving and renting in Ecuador on my blog at https://jimsantosblog.com/2016/05/17/tips-for-driving-in-ecuador/

-jim

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.