Bus from UIO to Cotacachi

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Bus from UIO to Cotacachi

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Randall Evans
    Participant

Having searched for the subject and finding “bus” mentioned in a post from 3yrs ago, but in other areas, I ask for boots on the ground input on a couple of seniors with the routine 2 carry ons, camera and laptop, taking a bus (subject). Dates, if it matters, will be in 3d-4th week of March 2019.

Good day Randall,

While my wife and I live on the coast, we have visited Quito and Cotacachi several times. Unfortunately, we usually rent a car at the Quito airport and drive. I’m checking with some folks I know that live in Cotacachi, but until then, I can give you some general info. Regional buses usually average about $2/hour of travel – so the bus to Cotacachi would be around $4-5. However, if you are over 65, you pay half-fare. Tickets are so cheap, some prefer to get an extra seat for their luggage, rather than store it under the bus.

As for frequency of buses, that is not a problem, they will leave throughout the day. You would go to the closest Terminal Terreste in Quito, and look for the bus line that goes north on 35. For example, here’s the schedule leaving from Terminal Terreste CarcelĂ©n : https://www.ecuador-turistico.com/2013/11/terminal-terrestre-de-carcelen.html (you would want the line to Ibarra in this example).

If you are leaving from the airport, there is a stand there to help visitors find the right buses/connections.

I will update you when I hear back from my Cotacachi friends.

-jim

Randall,

I heard back from one of my friends up north – seems I overestimated the price of bus tickets:”Buses from Quito to Otavalo leave about every 10 or 15 minutes from the Carcelen bus station on the north side of Quito. Last I knew it cost $2.50 per adult one way. Buses run from Otavalo to Cotacachi every ten minutes until 7 pm. Cost is 35 cents one way.”

Randall Evans
    Participant

Thanks a lot, Jim — Joy and I really liked our time at the seminar in Quito a couple years ago, and are looking at moving to Cotacachi area early in 2020. We hope to see a bit of the wetter climate to contrast with the gorgeous late July early August in Quito. I was thinking of no better way to get started than “localizing” with a bus ride, then getting a taxi from the Cota station to our airbnb residence.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.